? ??????????????Bass Drop? ????? ?????? ???Rating: 4.5 (4 Ratings)??4 Grabs Today. 868 Total Grabs. ??????
Get the Code?? ?? ?????Fire Flames? ????? ?????? ???Rating: 3.7 (3 Ratings)??4 Grabs Today. 1394 Total Grabs. ??????Get the Code?? ?? ????1?? ???????Sci Fi? ????? ?????? ???Rating: 3.8 (5 Ratings CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS ?

Friday, April 17, 2009

The Trials and Tribulations of Sleep-Training a Toddler

As many of you know, we have to this point, done the co-sleeping thing with Ainsley. Mostly due to my severe Post Partum Depression after she was born. I could not be away from her while she slept and I had the most horrible fear that something would happen if I were not there. It ended up working out well for us. She and I both slept better, beside one another. Our breathing and heartbeats would actually sync up. I always knew when she moved or needed me.

Now that she is nearing the 2 year old mark and I am finally starting to get over the PPD, we have decided that it is time to get her used to sleeping in her own room.

Anyone that has ever done any kind of sleep-training with an infant understands how difficult it can be. Now imagine doing it with a toddler. FUN STUFF!!!

We started on Wednesday night. We got home from Mike and Mary Lou's house for dinner and Ainsley went straight into the tub. After her bath, she got into her PJ's and she and I snuggled down in the rocking chair in her room with some milk. It took me an hour to get her to sleep. Once asleep, I gently placed her in the crib. The very second that she touched the mattress, she woke up SCREAMING!!!!! She was inconsolable, so I brought her back out to the living room with me and got her to sleep like normal. She slept in our bed with us that night.

Thursday night around 8:30, I took her into her room, changed her diaper and got her into her pj's. We again snuggled down in the rocking chair with some milk, this time with a nature CD of rainforest sounds playing softly in the background. I got her to sleep this time in about 35 minutes, but held off putting her in the crib for a little while longer. I wanted to make sure she was out cold. So about 20 minutes later, I placed her gently in the crib. Same thing. Woke up SCREAMING as soon as she touched the mattress. She stood up and held her arms out to me. It was HEARTBREAKING! I laid her back down, covered her back up and gave her eebee to snuggle with. I then began to gently rub her back. I did this for about 20 or 30 minutes. Every time I would think she was asleep and I would start to back out of the room, she would flip over and begin to cry. Steven went in and did the same routine with her for another 30 minutes or so. Then he got her up and took her to bed with him. She was out within minutes.

Due to having slept for so long and so good last night, she was wide eyed and bushy tailed this morning at 8:15. We got up and she had breakfast. Then she watched her eebee DVD and had some milk. We colored and played all day. She was really tired by 12:30. After she had lunch, I took her into her room and we settled into the rocking chair with some milk. After about 30 minutes, she was drowsy enough that I could lay her down in the crib, cover her up and sit in the chair without her crying. So I sat there for about 15 minutes and she fell asleep!!! She only slept for about an hour and a half, but it is progress in the right direction.

Tonight at 8:30, we started the process. took her in, got settled in the chair, she had her milk, and I waited. She was so sleepy. After she was done with her milk, I laid her down in the crib and patted her on the back. She fought falling asleep for about 15 minutes and I eased out of the room. It took her about 10 minutes before she started crying and I let her cry for about 10 minutes or so before I went in there. That was so HARD to do. I went in and picked her up and we sat down in the chair. She was out in minutes. I rocked her for about 35 or 40 minutes and was able to get her down into the crib without her waking up. I walked out of the room at 10:00. It is now 11:19 and she is still sound asleep in her own bed!

She did kind of squeal a little earlier and I had to fight to run back there. I have the monitor here with me and can hear her breathing and every now and then a little baby snore. I have no idea if she is going to make through the night or only for a little while longer. Part of me wishes for all night and part of me wishes for just a little while longer. This is hard on me too. It means no more little warm body to pull close to me in the middle of the night. It's sad but exciting all at the same time.

0 comments: